"The Bunkie" at A Kinder World Retreat
Welcome to the sweetest little off-grid cabin situated deep within a 300-acre nature reserve and private lake. Once a hunting camp this land is now a refuge of peace for all; animals and humans. We are blessed to be surrounded with water, trees and silence. It's our mission to protect and conserve this piece of land and everyone who lives here. Hunting, fishing and violence of any kind is forbidden here. We ask that all visitors refrain from bringing any animal products onto the property during their stay to remain in line with our dream of creating a place of peace for all. Although we rescue many animals and foster them until release or adoption, our mission is to provide a safe place for the once hunted animals to live in peace to raise their families and live their lives. This land also serves as a place for humans to find peace and retreat from our often unnatural world.
Beside our home, in "The Bunkie" we invite guests to visit the tranquility of nature and the joy in doing little harm to other beings and the planet. No matter the season beauty and the peace which is found here is abundant.
• This land belongs to the animals. We are merely guests. Please let’s all be good guests.
• No Animal Products are allowed on the property. All food must be vegan.
• Wildlife must not be disturbed. If you see wild animals send them love then quietly move away.
• Never leave ANY food outside ANYWHERE including on the porch. We love bears and all animals but we don’t want to attract them.
• Do not harm any trees or plants in any way.
• To protect the earth all bathroom and cleaning supplies must be strictly biodegradable (please ask us if you don’t have any).
• Please keep sound to a minimum at all times of the day.
• No motors are allowed in the lake.
• Our power is limited to what the sun shares with us so please always conserve energy. No electrical heating elements can be used such as; heaters, coffee machines, hair dryers, irons, etc.
• All visiting “pets” must be on a leash so they do not chase wildlife.
• Please take all trash home with you.
• Never litter, please leave the natural world as you found it.
• No smoking.
• Do not take anything from nature except photos.
• All bug spray must be free of DEET and other harmful chemicals.
• Do not dump anything into the lake or nearby the lake without permission.
• NO HUNTING, NO FISHING, NO VIOLENCE
• Tread lightly, keep peace and love in your heart.
The Bunkie" is a cozy and quiet cabin beside our home, a stone's throw from the lake. Here you will sit inside the screened in porch and listen to the loon's call, watch the humming birds at the feeder or maybe get a visit from the beavers and other wildlife who live here. Inside the Bunkie is bunk bed with double on the bottom and single on top which comfortably sleeps 3 people. There is a fridge, two burner stove and kitchen supplies to make your own meals. The Bunkie has a fancy bright new bathroom with a gorgeous view of the lake and a relaxing and hot rain-tower shower. Once you venture outside there are endless opportunities for hiking, snow shoeing, skating, x-county skiing, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and paddling boarding. The bunkie is also the perfect place to just sit quietly, lay in the hammock and enjoy nature, meditate, read, write or just be.
Although we are very isolated the bunkie is only a 10 minute drive to the quaint town of Tamworth. Tamworth has a wonderful and renowned used bookstore which attracts visitors far and wide. There are also a couple coffee shops and cafes which could use some vegan encouragement. Also near by (20 minute drive) there a special Dark Sky viewing area. The spot is the most southerly point in Ontario that offers a night sky experience very similar to what was available more than 100 years ago.